Collaboration and Effective Employee Wellness Programs
Why should you collaborate?
Active, ongoing partnerships and cooperative efforts multiply Employee Wellness
Plan resources in order to better serve Employees and their families.
How can you build collaboration into a Employee Wellness Program?
- Brainstorm a list of every potential Wellness partner you can think of.
- Be a politician: introduce yourself to everyone BEFORE you need their help.
- Develop a plan to get Senior Management support from as high up the chain
as possible. Ensure that to include specific ways that your Employee Wellness
Plan will impact force readiness.
- Determine how YOU can help your organizations (not just what they can do
- Solicit input from everyone that your Employee Wellness Plan will affect.
Make a special effort to talk to the employees closest to Employee Wellness
Plan implementation (those with “boots on the ground”).
- Your most frequently asked questions should be: “What would you suggest?”
and “How do you think this would work best?”
- Locate someone who has done the same type of Employee Wellness Plan before
and ask their advice. (Hint: the Employee Wellness Plan has a list of many
Plan NOW to show Employee Wellness Plan effectiveness. Establish who may ALREADY
BE COLLECTING information that will show the Employee Wellness Plan is working.
- Step back and review your Employee Wellness Plan from a potential partner’s
point of view.
- Brainstorm questions your collaborators might have, and have the answers
- Be ready to frame your “selling points” in terms that are important
to each specific partner.
- Put the Employee Wellness Plan benefits in language your collaborators will
Stress to potential partners how this Employee Wellness Plan will provide benefit
- Build as many partnerships as you can BEFORE you start a Employee Wellness
- Make your partnerships a two-way street: always let your collaborators know
what you can do for them – then follow-up and do what you say you would
- Maintain Senior Management support by providing a regular flow of information.
Invite Senior Management participation in the Employee Wellness Plan and special
events whenever possible. (Hint: they make great judges if you have a contest.)
- Offer regular feedback to your collaborators.
- Don’t hog the spotlight: let your collaborators share in the visibility
of the Employee Wellness Program.