Employee Wellness Programs are crucial to improving the health of our nations.
Most adults spend more of their waking hours at work than anywhere else, making
it a excellent venue for promoting healthful habits. The worksite organizational
culture and environment are powerful influences on behavior and this needs to
be put to use as a method of assisting employees to adopt a healthier lifestyle.
Benefits to Employee Wellness Programs include:
- Weight reduction
- Enhanced physical fitness
- Improved stamina
- Lower levels of stress
- Improved well-being, self-image and self-esteem
Employers can also benefit from Employee Wellness Programs. According
to recent research, employers’ benefits are:
- Enhanced recruitment and retention of healthy employees
- Lowered health care costs
- Decreased rates of illness and injuries
- Lowered staff member rates of absence
- Enhanced staff member relations and morale
- Enhanced productivity
A U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report revealed that
at worksites with physical activity initiatives as components of their Employee
Wellness Programs have:
- Lowered health care costs by 20 to 55 percent
- Lowered short-term sick leave by six to 32 percent
- Improved productivity by two to 52 percent
Thanks to modern medicine, life expectancy for Americans has continually improved.
How much we enjoy these additional years, however, depends greatly on how we
have lived our lives. If our quality of life is to remain high so that we can
fully enjoy these extra years, we must practice good eating habits, be active
and refrain from using tobacco products.